Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Famous first words

Norm has linked to a piece about the first sentence of novels and it reminded me of an interview I heard on the radio many years ago with Joseph Heller, author of the wonderful Catch 22. He said that all he had in his mind when he started a novel was the first line, everything followed from that.

There was one line that frustrated him though. He liked it, but could never develop a novel from it. The line?
"God's wife never thought it was a good idea".

2 comments:

Brigada Flores Magon said...

'Take my camel, dear,' said Aunt Dot as she climbed down from this animal on her return from High Mass.'
Rose Macaulay's opening to 'The Towers of Trebizond' has a lot going for it....

Overtired and emotional said...

"They order, said I,this matter better in France - You have been in France? said my gentleman, turning quick upon me with the most civil triumph in the world."

A Sentimental Journey - Laurence Stern.